Kambakkht Ishq is not vulgar or offensive: Akshay Kumar

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Advertisement

After two flops Chandni Chowk To China and 8X10 Tasveer actor Akshay Kumar is back on the silver screen with Kambakkht Ishq, which is going strong at the Box Office.


In an interview with CNN-IBN's Entertainment Editor Rajeev Masand, the actor talks about his new film, the critical reviews and strong collections it's gathering; the Shiney Ahuja being charged with rape and the Levi's Jeans 'unbutton' act controversy.

Your new film Kambakkht Ishq has just released and the opening figures are very impressive, however, the reviews aren't quite.

Akshay Kumar: I was reading a review in Variety magazine and it's the first time the magazine has done a review of a Hindi film. The review said the movie has one thing, which is the best and that is entertainment. We are in the entertainment industry and that is what I go for. I'm here to entertain people and I was very happy reading that.

There are some people who have different versions and different things to say about what they think. But at the end of the day we look at only one thing and that is the Box-Office result. And that is the most important thing and it works.

Singh is Kinng and Welcome also didn't get great reviews but they did go on to become big hits. For those films the argument was they were too corny or silly even, but this one is being called vulgar and offensive?

Akshay Kumar: I don't think it's vulgar and offensive; it's about the battle of sexes. In such a subject certain lines which are there are natural. And I didn't find it vulgar and offensive, else, the Censor Board would have taken objection to it.

Would you describe it as family entertainment?

Akshay Kumar: It's absolutely a family entertainment. There is nothing wrong with it. Which part would you say is crude or vulgar?

There is a lot of foul language.

Akshay Kumar: What are the foul words you object to, like 'dog' or 'bitch'? These words are used in everyday life. (Speaking in Hindi)

Would you be comfortable with your son watching this film?

Akshay Kumar: He watched it. I'm acting in a film, it's a character that I'm playing. In fact, I'm completely the opposite of what I am playing in the film. I'm not a male chauvinist at all. I stay with my wife, my sister, my mother and my niece. I'm surrounded by women in my house and I respect them. It was just a character, which I like the way he takes off, and then when he falls in love, he goes on his knees and begs for his love. And I like that part of it.

Advertisement

Related Posts



0 comments:

Recent Masala Posts